Monday, June 29, 2009

Blueberries in Excess

It seems to be blueberry season, and I seem to have acquired more than one sane person can eat alone. I have fresh ones, I have frozen ones: solution?
Cake.
Cake is always the solution.

This one was a test run, so I ran with the frozen blueberries. I also had some limes kicking around that needed using, and figured, why not? So here we go:


Blueberry Lime Cake (that should've been muffins)

1 and 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup oil
1 and 1/4 cups vanilla soy milk
Zest of one lime
1/2 bag of frozen blueberries (I'd hazard about cup?)


Preheat the oven to 375 °F.

Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Zest the lime into the dry ingredients, making sure not to get any pith (the white part under the zest)
Add the oil & soy milk and fold gently to combine. Add the frozen blueberries, and barely combine.

Behold!




Yes, it turns an amazing shade of purple, but no, it doesn't stay that way. Sadface.

Initially, I baked this in a 9x9 cake pan, but this batter is very moist- you're looking at about 50 - 60 minutes. Even then, crazy moist. Not a problem for me, however, it would do better as a muffin.
Line your muffin tin, and fill cups 3/4s of the way full. Bake for 17 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

The cake incarnation looks a little like this:



In the meantime, come visit us at Hungryface

You should also try the blueberry coffee cake!

2 comments:

The Cooking Photographer said...

That looks good! I'll have to make this into muffins. What a good looking recipe!

Lauren M said...

Hi, I made your recipe today. I used whole wheat flour, orange oil instead of the zest, 1 cup fresh blueberries and a 9x13 glass pan. It cooked in about 45 minutes and is delicious! Will keep this recipe for future use, thanks.